28.12.06

The vaccine in my fridge

This year, I bought two flu shots (one for me and one for Gahl) in the pharmacy across the street for 6 euros each, and store them in the drawer at the bottom of our (half-size) refrigerator. Apparently last year, some people rushed to pharmacies to buy the flu shot, believing it would protect them from avian flu.

The woman behind me in line at the pharmacy explained that, as a nurse, she would give the shot to herself. I opted to make appointments with our doctors instead. Then I carried my flu shot to the doctor wrapped in an ice pack (I thought it was supposed to be refrigerated?), and the doctor laughed and said a vaccine would be painful to get cold, so he had me warm it with my hands before he administered it. Now I'm home sick, but it must be a cold, not the flu.

No comments: